John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!

I have a team x-7r reel to reel that i replaced the capstan

Customer Question

i have a team x-7r reel to reel that i replaced the capstan belt when i try to play a tape it tape starts to fall between the two capstan drive wheels any ideas. also it will stay tight in reverse but the machine sounds like the it is dragging or not being steady pulled tight slows up and down slightly any additional ideas. Im wondering if the drive motors are weak
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: well i just bought it and the captain belt needed replacing so it has done it since i got it up running
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: checked the brakes and double checked i put the capstan belt in correctly which i think it is
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: it was hard to see from the service manual on how to put the belt on maybe i did something wrong there possible
Category: Consumer Electronics
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
maybe you can help me determine if i have the capstan belt on correctly
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The problem might be weakening motors, but it could be mechanical or electronic.

1: if the power supply to the motors is suffering from variation or instability, then that could make the motors run irregularly.

2: if the motor is pulling the tape onto one reel, the tape is being pulled off of the other reel. If that reel is out-of-round, or is eccentric in mounting (?? dubious), or its brake is not exerting constant resistance, then the 'other reel' would move irregularly and not provide enough resistance to keep the tape up between the two capstan drive wheels.

As for the capstan belt: why did you replace it? And why would it be hard to get positioned right?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is there for me to check if i have the belt on correctly
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the tape stays tight in reverse but not so in forward
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
javascript:void(0)the way it appears to fit is the belt is wrapped around two big weighted weeks then the capstan motor is pressed in to the belt from under to allow it to turn
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the belt was melted from time and no longer effective that is why i replaced it

Did you clean the areas that the melted-down rubber of the old belt might have touched, or gotten sticky, before replacing the belt?

If not, you will need to replace the new belt yet again, after doing such a cleaning.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i felt that was important
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please cancel the call request ill do more research in the service manual thanks

I regret not having the answer your required. With apologies I have Opted Out.

I have no power to cancel the call, but if left alone it will be closed.

Thank you for asking your question here at