Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC
59725966

I have a kindle ereader 3.4.2 (2687240004) There is,

Customer Question

I have a kindle ereader 3.4.2(###) ###-#### There is, suddenly, a 2 inch wide opaque area across the top. I've tried everything I can find online to get this to open up, including a factory reset (which, of course, erased everything). Nothing worked. Is it done?????
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch. A hardware fault is the most likely cause though.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. Give the kindle about a minute to start back up, and let me know if the problem persists, we can then try some further steps.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I already did this three times. Doesn't work
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This happened very suddenly - between readings today.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The ereader was just lying on the kitchen table while I was out. No one else here.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Try it a few more times, just to be safe, it can take 4-5 tries for the reset to take effect.

If the kindle still isn’t working properly, the next step will be a deeper level reset. If you have not charged the kindle recently or know that it is at least half full, then you should charge the battery for at least a few hours before proceeding further. Then plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

I’ve attempted to accept your call request, but it appears to have failed on your end due to a payment issue. You may need to increase your deposit or clear a security hold on your account. I’ll resend a new phone offer from my end that may be more readily processed. If you prefer to continue here in chat, that is fine too, just let me know. Just let me know either way.

Thanks,