John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!

I have a sentry safe s0400 and i cannot open the safe, 2

Customer Question

I have a sentry safe s0400 and i cannot open the safe
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: 2 weeks
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: magnets
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Is your safe a Fire Safe, or a Gun Safe? I cannot tell for sure from the model # ***** have mentioned, which may be incomplete, perhaps missing a digit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Model # *****#
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Russel, I believe it's fire safe

What does it do when you enter the code?

Or, do you not remember nor have any record of the correct code? which does happen, I understand that if that is the case.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have any code, it cones with the house and the owner doesnt remember the code. But I do have the key.

Are you still in touch with the former owner?

Does the key work in the lock, and does the safe open with that key? please try it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had open it before and for some reason I cannot open it anymore. I might have move the dial and now I cannot ipen it

Moving the dial should not affect the key operation.

Turn the dial three times clockwise, then to zero. Then rattle the opening handle. Then try the key again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried it and still won't open. Can you send me the combination code?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Or is there a way that we can send me the combination code?

I have no combination code for your safe, myself. I would have to work a minor miracle to have any clue as to what it is, from where I am and with the information I have on the safe.

Sentry Safes (the company) allows you to receive their registered combination (except perhaps for older safes, like this one - I'm not sure...) if you can present a certified copy of the original bill of sale. This keeps safes 'safe' literally, by requiring proof of ownership be presented before sending out a combination.

Since you are not the original buyer, you probably cannot present that certified copy. I'm sorry but a locksmith (which is expensive, of course) is the only other option. Safes really are safe, and when combinations get lost, he result is: no opening the safe easily.

Blowing some powdered silicone 'lock lubricant' into the keylock, might possibly help... but I doubt it.

I have Opted Out, opening the question to others free of additional charge, in case another Expert has further advice to offer for the subject of your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great! So I will send the certified copy to sentey safe to able to get the code?

Yes. It has to be the original bill of sale, though.

See this page for further help or to contact Sentry Safes:

I hope this advice helps. Let me know if it does, please.