Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years electronics experience. How may I help you today?
63817454

STEREO - SOUND SYSTEMS QUESTION - My sound system includes a

Customer Question

STEREO - SOUND SYSTEMS QUESTION - My sound system includes a Behringer DCX2496 ULTRA DRIVE PRO. I use it to separate signals going to my subs from signals going to speakers handling every thing higher than maybe 120 Hz. I configured it years ago and it has been working fine. It lost its memory and I do not want to have to learn how to program it again. I need someone that KNOWS this Behringer item that can talk me through setting it up again. I can do the fine tuning. I will pay the phone charge fee on here AND I will add a $20.00 tip IF we are successful in getting the programming done correctly. PLEASE do not expect a tip UNLESS we DO get things worked out. If you do take on this job I can post a block diagram of my installation for clarity. I also have the factory manual, but this piece of equipment has tons of features that I don't use and many of them I don't even know what the feature is all about. Please remember NOT to respond unless you KNOW what this DCX2496 actually is and how to set it up.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. I'm a sound engineer. Give me a few minutes to brush up my programming skills, I use many similar units. Go ahead and send the phone call request, I'll walk you through it. It's not too difficult, but I'll spend the time with you to get it going.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Thanks for responding. I don't see the link for the phone call option. Trust me, I have a solution. Let me explain. please phone me at(###) ###-####Len

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

You must have stepped away. I must leave now. I will be back on Tuesday. It will give you a chance to brush up. I will message you when I am back. Thanks for responding! Len in Colorado

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Oh, by the way....I think that you and I can have a continuing question/answer plan. Since all of my questions will be different, just the same unit, I see no reason why it would not be perfectly fine to let you make some $$$ on each different question. Sound good?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Since we cannot get together on the phone today let me describe what I do with the unit in question. I use 2 McIntosh stereo amps. My speakers are one Cerwin Vega 18" earthquaker on each side. I want these to get ONLY program material under say 120 Hz. Above the bass cabinets there is another enclosure that takes care of anything above 120. The reason I needed this unit is because I like an abnormal amount of bass and the high frequency box crossover just could not handle the amount of bass and then fed bass to the midrange. With the Behringer this is a problem of the past. It is a wonderful unit. I will be back in town on Tuesday or wednesday and try to contact you. Sound like a plan?

Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I am back at my desk. Are you ready to tackle this?

Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

This is where to start. Then we'll adjust the crossover for output 3, and it should be back to normal. This is a pretty simple setup with a left and right LH, and output 3 for the subs.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Hi Rusty, I just got home. It is 3:00 am here and not a good time to tackle this. Later on today would be great. I could not find a link to show what you charge for the phone consult option.

I don't think I made my explanation clear enough because I don;t have a separate subwoofer output. Let me describe the system:

Normal inputs going to a Parasound Halo P3 preamp.

Out of the preamp and into a Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra Curve Pro unit.

Out of the DEQ2496 and into the DCS2496 speaker crossover that we are dealing with.

L & R (low) out of the 2496 into a Cleanbox.

Out of the Cleanbox to #1 McIntosh stereo amp.This #1 amp has outputs for the Cerwin Vega 18" subs. As I remember the crossover was around 110Hz.

Then L & R (high) out of the 2496 and into a second Cleanbox.

Out of the second Cleanbox to a second McIntosh amp. Outputs of this amp go to L and R upper range speaker enclosure.

The reason for the Cleanboxes are to match XLR connectors over to RCA inputs for the amps.

I assume that once you have this additional info that you will want to revise your instructions a then setup a phone meeting appointment.

LATER ON:

Rusty, I seem to be having a problem here getting ready for your assistance. I am getting sound from the right channel when I have balance all the way to the left. BEFORE the DCX2496 there is no problem. There is "something" in the dcx that sending audio to the right. I am awaiting your go ahead with trouble shooting anytime. If you want me to award the 5 stars right away I can do that. Just ask. That way you have some profit instantly. Len

Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

Hi, we are two hours apart. I'm in WA state. It is now 9AM. You have 6 assignable outputs on that unit. That means we will assign output 1 as your left channel, output 2 as your right channel, and output 3 as your sub output. That's what I was talking about in an earlier post, so yes, you do have a dedicated sub output. We just need to assign it.

That is explained on the page I linked to earlier.

Once we get it routed properly, we can apply an EQ to each channel so that the subwoofer frequency is tuned to each speaker. Between 80 hz and 120 hz is right about where the crossover frequency will land.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Rusty, I am afraid that we are having a problem communicating effectively. I have tired my best to describe what I want but your advice is pointing me in the wrong direction. Let us give up on this particular question BUT I will still give 5 stars if you can answer the following: On this dcx2496 I have done a factory reset. No matter what I do (and I certainly have not tried everything) I am not able to get ONLY output to Left or output to only right. I am getting sound from both speakers. What am I missing here? When I turn right off entirely via no input from my computer to the unit I still get sound on right. Can you suggest one of the presets that definitely should let me use balance and have it work

Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

You should be able to get the left out of output 1, right out of output 2 and sub out of output 3 by using the internal preset 2+1 SUB. Take a look at this picture. Left goes into in A, right into in B.

These crossovers take the signal from left and right, then extract the sum of the low frequency to send to the subs. If it is connected like the picture, and you have preset 2+1 SUB selected, it should work just fine. If we need to adjust the EQ afterwards, we can do that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

I will try that idea tomorrow....thanks.

Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

Let me know how it goes. That is a very common setup, since bass is monaural anyway. Even when I connect two subs, I link them, with only one sub output.

Expert:  Rusty replied 4 months ago.

Were you able to select the correct preset?