Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio/video repair and installation tech.

Like everyone else I have had a rash of amps going into

Customer Question

Like everyone else I have had a rash of amps going into protect mode. I have been turning the amps off when ti
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Only about a week. It has happened to 3 amps. I took one home to test here. Same result. I was thinking a power surge but not so sure now. I have not been adding the speakers to test if the protect mode would go away.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Each time the fuse poped out really fast. I put in a slow blow fuse in was able to see the protect mode . then I had time to turn the amp off before smoke .. arrived. short maybe I took a unit home to test here to c what happens the same thing. Not attached to any speakers though
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: ok
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No. Thanks for your help.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Jack replied 3 months ago.

Hi I`m Jack a tech. with 40 years repairing audio equipment and i won`t even ask you the model number of that amp .

Installing larger fuse is definitely not gonna make the problem go away and it doesn`t mater if there are no speakers .

From what you described here you have blown output transistors hence the protect mode and a shorted power supply hence that blowing fuse.

Sorry but this amp is very sick and needs a qualified doctor at this point and again if it is worth the cost of repair

Take it to a shop for an estimate , most of them will do it for free or low cost.

That is my best advice .

Sorry for the bad news but i`d rather be straight with you .