Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant

I get a buss sound on my phone on just once in a while and

Customer Question

I get a buss sound on my phone on just once in a while and am woundering if I can change the frequency
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & Welcome,

I'm Greg and will do my best to assist you today.

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your phones.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) How many TOTAL cordless handsets do you have with this system, and if more than one, does it happen on ALL handsets in the system (assuming you have TESTED when this happens)?

2) Can you tell me if you have noticed any particular TIME this happens?

3) Can you describe this sound a bit more, and let me know if it CHANGES - as you MOVE around with the cordless handset(s)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have, 2, yes It will happen during the day for a hour maybe less it just a bussing sound and no it does"t change
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - from what you describe, it "sounds like" it may be some "electrical" interference - that is either getting into the phone LINE, or the AC power adapter - and is being "amplified" by the main base unit.

Now this may be ANY "electrical" device or appliance, such as an air conditioner turning on, or an overhead florescent light fixture (ballast really), or even some compact florescent light bulb, or the newer LED light bulbs.

If it happens at "regular times" (certain hours of the day), to troubleshoot this issue I would first MOVE the MAIN BASE UNIT to a different location, as sometimes just a few inches or feet can make a difference in the noise level. If you can TEST and notice a CHANGE - you are on the right track.

You can also try connecting the AC adapter for the main base unit to a power strip that has "surge suppression" and perhaps line noise filtering - to see if that makes a difference.

The DIFFERENCE and CHANGE is what we are looking for - to try and find this issue.

And by the way, to answer your ORIGINAL question about "can the frequency be changed", the answer is No. These systems actually work on a "range" of frequencies - at least between the main base unit and the handset(s). But "buzzing" - especially if it is happening with BOTH handsets, would be from the noise getting into the MAIN BASE UNIT, and then transmitted to the handsets. So that is where we need to concentrate our search for the noise.

Does that all make sense?

Please let me know if you can do ANY of these TESTS, and what you find when you do.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thanks Greg I will try that and see if that makes a difference will let you know if it works
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Very good.

Take your time and let me know what you find. I'm here almost every day to help.

One other "Extreme" TEST is to take the system to a DIFFERENT location (friend's home) with completely different power/electrical environment, and TEST there - for a day or so. If no noise there, that would confirm the phone itself is "OK", and we are looking for the source of the noise in the original location.

Take Care, Greg A.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-