John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!

I have a Garmin GPSMap 4008 and a 19 pin NMEA cable with

Customer Question

I have a Garmin GPSMap 4008 and a 19 pin NMEA cable with lots of coloured wires. I am trying to connect a Vesper Marine XB8000 class B AIS transponder. Which colour wires on the Garmin cable do I need to connect my NMEA + and - to from the transponder?
Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Having looked at the specifications for both devices, I find that they are both NMEA0183 compatible. Why not just connect the NMEA 0183 output from the Vesper transponder to the NMEA 0183 port on the GPSMap ?

Is it the case, that all of the ports (on either or both device) are occupied already by other connections?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Russell,
Thanks for getting back to me. Yes that is what I am trying to do. The problem is I don't know which colours are the NMEA input ports for the Garmin which has 19 coloured wires. That was the reason for my question. Do you know which colours NMEA + and NMEA - should be connected to on the Garmin cable for use at 38400 Baud?

A little more information please: What cable from the Vesper transponder are you using?

Or, what cable from the Garmin are you speaking of? an internal cable? or something else?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is the standard power/data cable that it came with, the NMEA out (+) wire is grey and the NMEA out (-) wire is yellow. They should be connected to the NMEA inputs on the Garmin

That standard power-data cable that which one of the devices came with?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The power/data cable came with the AIS. The Garmin cable is already on the boat and some of the wires are used for instrument data
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Any further thoughts Russell?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry Russell, this isn't working out. I am requesting a refund