Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Pearl. I have a receiver Marantz SR 7400 and each time the

Customer Question

Hi, Pearl. I have a receiver Marantz SR 7400 and each time the receiver writes me Check POW5
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Marantz is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I already had this problem before and after a lot of times that I switched it ou and in, it works again, but not now!
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: I bought it in 2004, I think
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: its a SR 7400 from Marantz
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no thank you, ***** *****!
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, let's try review the basics (if have not been done):

• have you checked the speakers and the speaker wires?
  • have you tried unplugging for an extended period of time?
  • have you tried with no speaker/wires connected?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried the 3 things because I saw some comments on Internet about it
I already had this problem in the past and I switched on an off a lot of times and suddenly it worked, and it worked about several months (I could switch off and on without any problems
But now I cannot do it
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
can I try something else?
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Have you considered / tried a RESET?

A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try:

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose/cause other issues.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how can I do a reset of the receiver?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I never did it
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Please click HERE.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you for help
but I think I am very stupid I found the "CLEAR" button, but I don't find the "Display Off" button! Is it on the remote control or on the receiver
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

The DISPLAY OFF button would be between the SLEEP and MUTE buttons.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
On the manual, I saw I had to press simultaneously the "Select" and "S-Direct" button during 3 seconds
But I cannot do it because the receiver immediately switches off!
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

The above posted RESET procedure is from p. 31 of the Marantz SR7000 User Guide.

Still, if a RESET can not be performed on the SR7000, then it would confirm the internal hardware issue as posted above.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am afraid not really ;(
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
do you think it can work again by switching ON & OFF many times, as I did before?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
because it worked already 2 times doing this in the past
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

I understand and it would appear that you have a European version.

The only easy user doable try then would be the RESET.

Another is unplugging for a really extended period of time; preferably overnight.

All others would be internal.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I bought it in Belgium!
I already disconnected it for one night and nothing happened
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have you an idea why it worked before by switching "MANY" times off and on?
Do you think it can happen again?
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Cycling the power (switching On-Off-On-Off-On) is also a form of reset but is 'by chance'; a hit-or-miss method hence unpredictable reliability.

Of course it may happen again.

...but then it also may not.

I realize that the above information may perhaps be not what was expected. Unfortunately, there is no quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround; sorry for having to be the bearer of bad news.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thank you for the tips
If I cannot do it by switching On-Off, I will have to disconnect everything ( ;(( )and go to repair it!
It just costed me 24 € more !!!
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Appreciate your kind understanding.

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.

Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Glad that the above tips / information may serve your purpose and would appreciate a Positive Rating and/or an Accept (if haven't done so) as this is the only way I get credit.