John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!

I have a dvd/blue ray player without its remote control.

Customer Question

I have a dvd/blue ray player without its remote control. when it is time to click to start, I cannot get it to start even with another sony remote control. what can i do?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sony is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 1 or 2 years old. Model BDP-S3200
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: AH???
JA: What confuses you?
JA: Huh?
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: IS THERE A COST?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, there is a partial test to confirm if the old remote is working or not. With fresh batteries correctly installed, point the remote towards the lens of an active digital camera. For every press of any/all button(s) on the remote, there should be a bright light that would register on the LCD screen of the camera.

No light, no infrared transmission from the remote; remote most likely faulty.

On the otherhand, if the remote is good, then consider a possible IR sensor hardware concern in the unit itself or a compatibility issue.

Please post back results of camera test.