Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My version of Znavionics is called "US and Canada". I just

Customer Question

My version of Znavionics is called "US and Canada". I just entered eastern Maine, west of Jonesport, and my chart has gone gray colored and I am missing detailed depths and island names, etc. why is this and what can I do about it?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Does some of the chart show up, and is it just details that are missing, but does the device show or the software show, where you are and where the nearest coastline is more or less, even if soundings are missing ?

What platform - or, device, or computer - are you viewing the Navionics charts on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that is correct. iPad
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All soundings are not missing, just the shallower ones, around islands, and the island shapes look blocky.

In other words, the coastline 'definition' is degraded, or lessened.

It's hard to say whether the soundings around Jonesboro are simply in poorer shape or what, but the degradation of coastline definition and detail is definitely not owing to lack of chartings... since coastlines are defined by satellite views nowadays, whereas sounding require someone to be 'down there' on the sea taking such data.

So I think something's wrong.

I suggest first, that you restart your iPad... or better, shut it down, not just suspend it.

Then let it cool off for a while... about 15 minutes to 1/2 hour should be enough.

Then start up the iPad again, load the Navionics software once more, see if the near-Jonesboro Maine area is once more in good shape with all details apparently there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, but I don't know why I am in the gray colored section as if I am out of my coverage area. Everywhere else is still fully detailed as usual.

Probably just a glitch. Hopefully it does not mean that your Navionics file is corrupted.

On the assumption that it is a glitch, I recommend turning Off/Shutting Down the iPad for 15 min. or longer to cool off.