Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a problem with one of the channels in my vintage

Customer Question

I have a problem with one of the channels in my vintage Fisher X-202-B amplifier. Channel A does not put out any sound. Wondering if I might be able to diagnose this myself with a few non-technical tests, and possibly fix it as well. I'm thinking that if it's just a tube or two that needs to be replaced, I could probably donit myself, with help from a pro.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, have you tried checking / swapping speakers and speaker wires?

And check the jumper plugs at the back of the Fisher X-202-B?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did. That did not resolve the issue. On the X-202-B there is a Mode Selector knob.When switched to Stereo, only the left speaker is active.
When Switched to A, no speakers are active (no sound).
When switched to B, both speakers are active, pulling mono from Channel B
When switched to "Reverse",only the Right speaker is active.The above applies to Aux-1 and Aux-2 inputs. Phono on the other hand works as expected, with both channels a and b active when the selector is on Stereo. So, it seems that channel A has an issue on the Aux inputs. I have not tested the other inputs (Tuner, etc...).Thanks.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

I understand and currently reviewing the Service Manual and schematic diagrams.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Equally important, would you be comfortable/familiar working with the inside circuitry and components? ...even perhaps live?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Great Louie. Yes, I'm hoping that it would be within my abilities to fix it myself. I do have a multimeter and do solder a bit, but they're not the cleanest. My hope is that maybe it's just a tube that needs to be replaced, or something simple like a loose wire.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
as far as working with circuitry live, I have no experience with electronics at that level. So, again, if it were something simple and you guided me, maybe we could pull it off. Otherwise I'd probably have to send it out for that sort of thing. I'm hoping obviously to save that time and money though.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

If I understand correctly; PHONO 1 and PHONO 2 works as expected BUT not AUX 1 and TAPE/AUX 2 where A Channel is low or missing.

Bear with me and for test purposes, can you please remove the RCA plugs from the PHONO input jacks and plug these instead to the AUX-1 jacks?

The sound may be low but the idea is to check if both channels A and B have about the same level.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That is correct. But I don't believe the Aux inputs have the phono pre-amp required to drive the turntable. So I heard nothing when plugging the turntable RCA's into the Aux inputs. What I can do is try another source, if you're thinking it's a source issue. But I sort of already tested that by switching the red/white RCA jacks from the current source. If one of the channels was out on the source, then when switching the inputs it would have switched the working side (A would have worked, but not B). So i don;t believe it's a source issue, but will go and get a 1/8"-to-RCA plug and test the Aux inputs with my iphone if that would help.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Agree and appreciate the info on what has been tried. Likewise yes on using a known to be good source + 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Let's try and review the basic signal flow check. Based on the schematics, AUX-1 is fed through the LEVEL controls. Try to gently tap and exercise the A AUX-1 LEVEL rotary control.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

in some instances, it may help to clean these level controls and even selector switches using compressed air or better yet, plastic safe / non-staining CRC 2-26, DeoxIT DN5 or LPS 03116 Contact Cleaner or equivalent to clean the insides of these parts but allow sufficient drying time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, well this is embarrassing. I guess my troubleshooting process was not as accurate as I'd originally thought. It was the RCA cord which, when replaced with another one, produced sound out of both speakers in stereo mode. Duh! Thanks Louis.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Great! Good to hear that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.

Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Just checking if you need any more assist with the Fisher X-202-B ?

Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.