Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a rf-2200 short wave radio that I can't change the

Customer Question

I have a rf-2200 short wave radio that I can't change the band selection on. The only band I get is fm .Have you run in to this problem before?Can it be repaired ,or is it worth while? Thanks Chuck
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, if all external factors have been checked and ruled out, then the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue. More particularly, potential suspects after a review of the repair / Service Manual are:

• • wiring/connector (least likely);
  • • cold solder (likely);
  • • faulty BAND selector switch contacts (most likely).

All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

If considering a DIY, the Service Manual would serve as a common reference when pointing out test points and check procedures.

Additionally, posting back with clear pictures would similarly serve as common visual reference. Please click HERE.