Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant

Garmin nuvi 1410 starting fine but the keypad not working.

Customer Question

Garmin nuvi 1410 starting fine but the keypad not working. It never fell. it started by loosing calibrating when you push r key another key will show.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Sorry to hear of any issue you may be having with your device.

I'm not clear if the screen will respond AT ALL, or perhaps just far out of calibration.

You can TRY to make the "Press dot" screen appear (the calibration routine) by starting with the device OFF and disconnected from power, and then press and HOLD the upper-left corner to the touch-screen (not the frame) and at the same time power the device ON.

NOTE: This can take quite some time for the "press dot" to appear, so keep HOLDING for as long as it takes OR the "normal" screen appears.

When the "press dot" appears, try to use a plastic tip of a pen or "stylus' to touch the VERY CENTER of each dot. ACCURACY is more important than speed, if you can get the dots to appear. If done correctly AND the screen is still working, it should take 5-7 touches for the calibration to complete.

Here is a video that shows how this is done and SHOULD work.

If that does not work after multiple attempts, then this could be a hardware failure of the screen, and the unit will either have to be repaired (if possible) or replaced.

Please give this a try and let me know your results - when you can.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-