Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC

My Kindle KB display is "screwed up", partial dark, lots of

Customer Question

My Kindle KB display is "screwed up", partial dark, lots of lines, tiny bit of a picture in one corner. Watching the green light, it still seems to operate electronically, and goes through a restart sequence, but no display movement or change. I have connected to my computer and downloaded files. How can the display be repaired?
Model number is D00901, and Serial Number is ***** A0A0 1102 03LQ.
NB: I still love the KB for reading. I only bought a PW 7 for the increased display pixals and the light. The Fire HDX 7 I have is not a good reader.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This symptom can indicate several possible issues: an internal hardware failure, a low/faulty battery, or just a simple memory/firmware glitch.

The first step here will be to attempt to reboot the kindle. This is done by pressing/sliding and holding the power button for 20+ seconds, or until the screen flashes (usually with an image of a tree), then release. You may need to repeat this process up to 5 times for it to take effect.

If the kindle still isn’t working properly, the next step will be a deeper level reset. If you have not charged the kindle recently or know that it is at least half full, then you should charge the battery for at least a few hours before proceeding further. Then plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
As my original question stated, my display is not working. I went through your instructions with the following result;Battery was charged. Reboot 5 times (green light indicates this is working but, still no display)
Connected to computer went through 60 second reboot at least 5 times, no change, display not working.Further help is needed to figure out how to recover or repair the display.
Thank you
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for trying, Carl.

This unfortunately indicates an internal hardware fault.
There is no recovery, the display is internally damaged and would have to be repaired. The entire eink display panel and digitizer assembly would have to be replaced.

It is possible to fix, but generally not feasible to do so, especially for such an old model. It would cost you more to fix it than it would to buy a new kindle:

If you prefer to have it repaired though I can give some options for that.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?