Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Smoke alarm keeps chirping. Have replaced the battery and

Customer Question

Smoke alarm keeps chirping. Have replaced the battery and still chirping. Have even removed the smoke alarm from the wiring and still chirping coming from the ceiling even though the unit itself is sitting on the table. How can we stop the chirping?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Several hours now.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Replaced batteries in all four smoke alarms although only one chirping is the one in the master bedroom. Others seem to be okay. Unplugged unit from wiring and thought chirping would stop if not plugged into wiring but still chirping.
JA: The electronics expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Think that's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If there is a chirping coming from the ceiling... or seems to be... try using a stethescope, or a home-made equivalent made of a rolled-up sheet of paper or paper cone, and try listening as to whether the chirping is coming from the ceiling or from the alarm on the table.

The 'mount' piece of the smoke alarm may still have the 'sound' or 'speaker' portion of the smoke alarm on it, if the chirping is indeed still coming from the ceiling. If so, you didn't remove the alarm proper, but only its outer cover.

Let me know what maker and model of alarm you have, please. And I will advise you further.