Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My Paperwhite dropped a little over 2 feet on a tile floor.

Customer Question

My Paperwhite dropped a little over 2 feet on a tile floor. It now has a 1/4 inch crack in the middle of the screen with a small amount of light coming through. I could not get the page to turn so I held down the off button for 40 seconds but nothing happened,did it again and nothing. Now I can still see the text but ever10 seconds it turns light gray with the text showing through. It will not turn off or turn the page. Did the fall kill it?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. A crack in the touch LCD display of the Kindle is a hardware fault and requires replacement of the outer screen and digitizer to fix it. The digitizer is the inner layer of the screen that responds to your touch commands. In order to fix it you would need to purchase and replace this part, which requires a bit of work and a steady hand, but can be purchased at the link below for around $50 (1st generation Paperwhite):

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

What you can try first, even though it's not likely to be a fix, is to perform that reboot (power button for 40 seconds) up to 4 more times- making sure you wait a full 60 seconds for it to reboot. If that does not work the digitizer does need to be replaced.

If this is not something that you're comfortable with then a 3rd party Kindle repair service (like Mission Repair) will charge close to $120 for this type of fix at the link below:

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you on this as needed. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.