Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Nikon Tech Person, and my Coolpix P 500 is beginning to both

Customer Question

Hello Nikon Tech Person, My name is ***** ***** my Coolpix P 500 is beginning to both piss me off and is becoming completely unreliable.................Here is all of the criteria, I have only 20 minutes to 30 minutes to spend on this machine before it is Doggy/Daddy time................Camera was not used with any regularity for sixth last months and now I am beginning regular use once again..............It is either burning out the battery or the two batteries I have do not hold a charge.............I purchased a new Nikon battery a month ago................The photographs I get are good as long as the camera is working................The only way I can depend on it working is by charging ahead of time................OK, try to help me, Thank You
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

I am Pete and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

---------------------

This is a known problem, however there is a fix - you simply have to install the latest firmware.

You should also turn off the "Charge by Computer" option which is set to "Auto" by default.

You can download the firmware from:

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/40.html

To install the firmware:

1. Create a new folder with an appropriate name on your computer's hard drive.

2. Download the firmware from the above link.

3. Run the downloaded file to create a folder called P500Update which contains the firmware folder.

4. Use a card reader or similar device to copy the firmware folder to the root directory of a formatted SD memory card.

5. Insert the memory card into the camera's memory card slot and turn on the camera.

6. Select Firmware version from the camera's setup menu and follow instructions displayed to upgrade the firmware.

7. After the upgrade is complete, turn the camera off and remove the memory card.

8. Access the Firmware version item in the camera's setup menu to confirm that the firmware has been upgraded.

Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question, do you need any further assistance?