Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC

I have a Panasonic model #SA-Ak330 stereo and the AM/FM

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic model #SA-Ak330 stereo and the AM/FM tuner is not working. The unit is no longer sending the preset stations. The unit as well as the remote both exhibit this condition.
What is going on?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Are you able to manually tune in a specific station and get reception?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

If it has happened suddenly, there are only 2 possible causes of this:
Either something has changed in the operating environment that has resulted in interference (new building constructed nearby, a new ac unit, microwave, router, cordless phone, etc), OR, more likely, there is an internal hardware failure in the radio tuner/receiver circuitry in the stereo. This type of failure could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2005 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this system is significantly past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; though repairs simply would not be feasible. It would cost far more to repair than the system is worth, in labor alone, and there are just no parts available for it any longer.

Replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new stereo with updated features and a fresh warranty in the $100 range, less than half of what you'd pay in repair costs.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,