Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I was wondering if a special extraction tool is needed to

Customer Question

I was wondering if a special extraction tool is needed to remove the relay cover for the RL701? I see where it hooks on both sides but seems difficult to reach the latches.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  johnnn40 replied 4 months ago.

Can you tell me which relay you're speaking of? Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is the RL701 relay in my Sharp Notevision PG-M20X projector. I was looking at this response : there was a picture showing the cover off the relay to check contacts. I was wondering how the person was able to get the cover off the relay while it was still on the board as I have not had any success with it. However the picture does not seem to be on the site now.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi Bill and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially and almost always, the relay manufacturer uses a dab of sealant/adhesive of sorts to reduce if not prevent dirt/dust entering the relay contact compartment.

It would require tweezers or small/jeweler's screwdriver to pry through the small openings to lever off the small tabs.

The preferred method is to de-solder and work on the relay out-of-circuit.

Hopefully, the image HERE may shed insight.