How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aric Your Own Question
Aric, Technician
Category: Consumer Electronics
Satisfied Customers: 44269
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
Type Your Consumer Electronics Question Here...
Aric is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have model #1276 detectors in my home. Now 10 years old.

Customer Question

I have model #1276 detectors in my home. Now 10 years old. What do I replace these older smoke detectors with. New models do not have house wiring connections to hook to.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, New models sure do have house wiring to connect to- but you just have to buy the right type of smoke detectors. "Hard-Wired" is what you need to look for, not the cheap battery only models. Here is a source where you can choose what hard-wired units you want to use. They all use the 3 wire connection- hot, neutral and then they talk to each other through the ground. Any of the units at the link below will work just fine and they all have the little compartment to make your wire connections inside (as well as have a backup battery in case of a power outage):

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Related Consumer Electronics Questions