Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC

Got Power, No perforance. Model AWR1-1W Sre # 018815C8174

Customer Question

Got Power, No perforance.
Model AWR1-1W
Sre # *****
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 1994 model stereo, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure, which would require repairs to correct.

Given the age, replacement will usually make more sense, as you'd get an updated model with a fresh warranty for about the same price as repairs.

If you wish to repair though, your options will be to send it in direct to Bose for factory service (1-***-***-****) though this can be slow (long turnaround time) and expensive (they generally offer you a partial trade in towards a refurb model rather than actually repairing) This will typically be in the $300-400 range.

Or, as an alternative to the factory service is to contact the guys at MyBoseRepair ( who will generally be able to do a much quicker and cheaper repair service. They typically offer a flat rate repair of around $200.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?