Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

My @k avr307makes humming sound when on

Customer Question

My [email protected] avr307makes humming sound when on
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi Michael and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, have you tried unplugging the B&K AVR307 for an extended period of time? ...and then plugging back in using a different outlet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tried that just started doing it today
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Appreciate the information on what has been tried.

How long has the B&K been in use please?

Have you checked the speakers and the wiring at the back of the AVR307?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my wife was listening to music and it started humming
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's 14years old
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

A final try please; have you considered / performed a RESET?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How would I do that
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Consider a RESET. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try: Please click HERE.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose / cause other issues.

Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Any update Michael?

If all external factors have been checked and ruled out, then the described symptom and if non-corrective result of a RESET would almost always point to an internal hardware issue. This would then require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?