Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC

I have my CD player so 1989 and have never had any problem

Customer Question

I have my CD player so 1989 and have never had any problem except a little sticking on the open function. A little upward pressure on the front of the player just under the drawer and it opened to e.
Today I inserted 3 different cd's but they do not play. It goes right to the EE and shows total run time. Is there anything I can do to make it work? I've been blessed that it's lasted as long as it did, but I hate to buy a new one.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Jane.

You certainly have been lucky that it has lasted this long. That player is at about 5 times the life we'd expect of it.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.