Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I've acquired sansui g-6000 receiver. it turns on; lights

Customer Question

hi i've acquired sansui g-6000 receiver. it turns on; lights on, but no audio -- dead mute from speaker terminals and headphones.
any idea where i should start my troubleshooting?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Hi Mark and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, let's try a review of the basics:

• • ensure that the TAPE MONITOR and the 4-CH/NR switches are in the released (SOURCE and OFF position respectively);
  • • place a (jumper) RCA-to-RCA cable pair from the 4-CH/NR ADAPTOR OUT L & R jacks to the L & R IN jacks.

Should none of the above above be corrective, then it would almost always point to an internal hardware issue. Would you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi
I tried your suggestions but still no signal all fuses are good
I'm familiar with multimeter and soldering iron
I'm familiar with electro safety
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Great on the DIY!

Let's do a review and determine if the fault is in the amp circuits or before, the pre-amp.

For test purposes, feed the Sansui's 4-CH/NR L & R OUT jacks to the LINE INput of another amp/receiver. The idea is to determine if the Sansui would operate minus its amp/speakers.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did no audio from neither amp or preamp
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Appreciate the update Mark.

With speakers correctly wired to the Sansui and the covers removed, please locate resistors R03 and R04 on the F-2856 (amplifier driver) board. Quickly/lightly touch either leg of these resistors and determine if there would be a thump/humming sound from the connected speakers.

A friendly reminder; the above would require that the unit be plugged in and turned on. It is therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Located board(preamp) you've mentioned, turned on
With headphones on I was able to hear noise of a tuner and even tuned on radio station but with volume knob all the way up to barely hear anything
There was no tapping pops or clicks or humm from speakers when I touched or tapped on resistors leads
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Interesting findings.

Please locate relay RL601 at the F-2858 board and carefully determine if it would click on to engage when initially turning on the Sansui? ...click once? ...or would there be a second click?

Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Please be doubly careful as the F-2858 board primarily holds the voltage regulator circuits.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi the relay clicks and sansui now has audio
The fault is in selector knob and fm mute switch
When I turned fm mute on the audio started
With fm mute disengaged aux playback can be heard at any Input selector switch position only from l channel
When Input switch is on aux or am the aux audio can be heard from both channels but r channel plays with distortion. The distortion sounds like input overload
So far I tried to with bottom cover removed clean the selector switch and mute button but no success
Looks like I have quite a few shorts
The phono inputs don't engage at any position of selector switch
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Great Mark! Good to hear that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

Consider using compressed air or better yet, plastic safe / non-staining CRC 2-26, DeoxIT DN5 or LPS 03116 Contact Cleaner or equivalent to clean these switches but allow sufficient drying time

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to share the information.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well I have these various products for electrical cleaning but I suspect there something could be wrong electronically since as I've mentioned the mute switch when engaged the radio works than when aux is active the sound is heard from right speaker while left speaker plays radio or visa versa
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Phono input does not engage at all
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

Try the cleaning first.

Then check for possible cold solders particularly on the wire-to-board/pin.

I will review the schematic diagrams/Service Manual for other check/test points.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi I went through touching up solder joints on preamp/input selector board but still no success
Will probably need to remove input selector switch and clean it off the board
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.

I understand Mark and yes, remove and soak/clean out-of-circuit.

Do you have alligator clips with wires similar to the product shown HERE ? These can be used to jump the connecting points of the input switch. For test purposes, the other circuits then can be tested/checked.