Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a Panasonic DVD HDD recorder DMR-EH57 which is

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic DVD HDD recorder DMR-EH57 which is failing to boot up. It just hangs on "please wait'.
I have seen other posts for other models suggesting the capacitors in the paper unit are a problem but a visual check on This looks ok and the fuse by the mains input has continuity.
Before this it played up Error 88 I think but hadn't used since. THen tried again recently and this is happening.
Any suggestions?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Error 88 indicates that the unit is carrying out the recovery process. This usually occurs after a power failure or when the unit has been disconnected from the mains power incorrectly.1. Press the power button on the main unit to switch the unit to standby. If the unit doesn't switch to standby, press and hold the Power Button on the main unit for about 10 seconds. The unit is forcibly switched to standby.2. While the unit is off, press and hold Stop and channel up button on the main unit simultaneously for about 5 seconds. Remove any disc that is still in the machine. If that doesn't work then the HDD may be faulty and will need to be replaced. A faulty HDD would cause the unit to hang on "please wait" and not fully boot, as the boot process cannot complete until the HDD is detected. Pete.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will try that again but I had also tried that previously to no avail so sounds like HDD failureThanks
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Ok, let me know if you need anything else at all...Best,Pete.