Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 168 Sounder. The majority of the screen

Customer Question

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 168 Sounder. The majority of the screen has become very dark. Only the outer 1/4 in or so is the original color. It still works, just very hard to read.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of any issue you are having with your device.I assume by the model of this unit and the symptoms you mentioned (screen damage/darkening) that this device is well over 10 years old. I assume this because devices of this tend to start to fail after a period of time and exposure to the elements, as the "layers" of the display start to separate internally. Also, Garmin has not offered repair of these devices for some time, as replacement screens (and other components) are no longer made. BUT, there is a slim chance that replacement parts can be found on the "used"market, that could be used to repair the device. Places like eBay have a few listings of these units "for parts". CLICK HERE to see some of those listings on eBay. Another possibility is if you have a "marine electronics shop" that does repairs for these units, as sometimes they will have some of these older units "sitting on the shelf" - to be sold (if they still work) or used for replacement parts. Sorry that I don't have better news for you, but units of this age are prone to this type of screen failure. Depending on your need and budget, I would recommend looking for a newer system that will work for you. I hope this helps. Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions about this unit. Take Care & Stay Safe Out There, Greg A.(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved?I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.Thanks, ***** ***** .-(im)