Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Dmr-es20 message

Customer Question

dmr-es20 hello message
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, have you tried unplugging the Panasonic for an extended period of time ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is that all you have?
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
The unplugging is actual the first step and would serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.The objective was to simulate a soft RESET.Should this be non-corrective, then it would confirm an internal hardware issue. Still, there is a possible fix; though not quick-n-easy fix and neither is there a workaround. The unit would have to be opened up for visual/mechanical inspection, voltage measurements, confirm fault(s) and effect repairs. Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes I do
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Great on the DIY!Should you be comfortable proceeding, post back with clear closeup pictures of the Main Board with power supply and the Digital Board. Please click HERE.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't see you didn't reply to expert button
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I sent it using add files
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did you get it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What happened did you disappear?
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me time to re-check the Service Manual and sorry but multiple instances / multiple replies only confuses the system and delays my viewing.Appreciate the picture.The displayed message is indicative that the startup process was unable to complete booting; i.e. the CPU was unable to detect a correct response from 1/any of the sub-processors.Can you please perform a visual inspection of the Digital Board and the Power Supply circuit for potential cold solder issues and even swelling/bloated capacitors?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't see any bloated or leaking capacitors and no cold solder joints
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
I beg to disagree; there appears to be at least 1 capacitor with its top bloated and/or punctured on the secondary side of the transformer.Additionally, the cold solder can only be checked at the trace/bottom side of the main circuit board which then requires that it has to be unscrewed, lifted to gain access to the underside.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The circuitboard I already had off before and I couldn't find any problems underneath. As for the leaky or gloated capacitors I do see the small two that are bloated. Do you really think that is enough to be an issue?
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Yes, these are filter capacitors and if faulty would cause the DC Voltage not to reach expected level resulting to low B+ to the other circuit boards. We are looking at +12, +5V, +3.3V and in some others, +1.8V. Even a small drop in voltage then may and can result to the circuit it powers to fail.Can you try replacing these faulty capacitors? This would then serve as both an attempt of a fix and as a test by process of elimination.Even the Service Manual prescribes checking first the power supply circuit.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK I will locate these capacitors and replace the two. How do I get back in touch with you if we still have a problem?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This'll take me at least a week to get parts and have time to get back on it
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
I understand; still, please click HERE.Do a Ctrl + D to bookmark this page and/or click on the link provided in the email sent by the site.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I reference a case number!
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Sorry but my participation is strictly limited to technical, repair and/or installation issues.I am not privy to any "...case number..."
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK thanks
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Cheers!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still have the problem
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
If all the capacitor issues have been fully addressed, then please carefully check for the presence and consistency of the standby voltages at the cathodes of diodes:• D1250 +3.7V;• D1260 +5V; and• D1270 +12V.