Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I bought a Canon T5 online with the understanding that it had a bad dc

Customer Question

I bought a Canon T5 online with the understanding that it had a bad dc to dc converter. When I got it it would take pictures fine but the flash wouldn't work and it would run batteries down in about 30 minutes. I pulled the dc to dc converter and it had burned contacts between the solder joints on one of the plugs. I ordered a new board and installed it. Now the camera won't power on. Put the old board back in and it still won't power on. I have taken it apart 3 times and checked all the ribbon connections and plugs. It all seems fine. I checked the battery door switch. It is fine. 2 different batteries, both worked before. The voltage on the tiny button cell is 2.7v. Is there something I have to do to initialize that new board? I'm an experienced electronics technician and working on a static free workstation.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties.Evidently just the converter was not all of the problem. Something else may have been shorted out, if there was a burnt spot between (? solder joints ?). You might have to have the camera repaired professionally, I'm sorry to say. Service manuals for cameras made by Canon are rather rarer than living dinosaurs, and a problem like this is unlikely to be solved on your own.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've checked my credit card and I have been charged $35 and $5. Telling me I need to send it in is NOT an answer, and I don't think you are going to have a solution to my problem. Thank you for your reply, but I want a refund
I have passed your request to Customer Support at Thank you for bringing your question to us here at JustAnswer.