Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have replaced c4 bad switch with new one but I can't join

Customer Question

Hi i have replaced c4 bad switch with new one but I can't join to mesh
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Have you gotten the settings off the bad switch (or was it broken to an extent that prevents that? if not, I would advise copying down those settings that worked, off it...) onto the new switch?That is most likely to help. What error do you get, or what failure to join the mesh?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Slobo
In order to help me best i have to let you know, that switch is for costumer of mine and during my work on something else he ask me to fix light for him.
I have found that switch not was working in all and no any lights and didn't work on manually, so I have found on ebay new same model switch. Now I have wired switch and works manually but I don't know how to add it mesh .
BTW I didn't respond cause I can't to job site till tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks
That's OK.I didn't know it was a light switch. I thought it was a network switch, or router-box sort of thing. Pardon my mistake. OK... is it a mechanical switch? or an electronic switch? what maker, model, or part # ***** *****?And what do you mean by 'adding to mesh' ? I'm not sure how to advise you until I'm clear on that.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's mechanical and WiFi switch so light can go on by pressing swith like regular also goes on by control4 so light can be turned on from phone or wall control4 and it's set up on time to go on .
The one switch I replaced was not working in all and rest of switch in house on c4 works well.
If the switch is WiFi, does that mean it has to be joined to the WiFi network? or 'signed in' to it?Control4 systems can be WiFi networked, yes, so that's probably a 'yes'. Is joining the WiFi network or the Control4 network, what you mean by 'joining the mesh' ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I mean joining to control4 network.
Right now from c4 control I can switch all lights on but not one which works on new switch so the new switch is not in c4 network, how I can add the new switch to be controlled by control4 .
Switch is same model as old one ,pictures I have attached pictures from old switch and box is from new one (color is different)
Documentation is hard to find. One document says, 'see another document'.That trail ended on Control4's website, with a bad link.Trying to get to the documentation directly through Control4's website leads to a puzzle: it's a C4-SW1 switch... but who made it, what is its manufacturer? if you still have the packaging, please tell me.
To clarify, if needed: 'Control4' is not a brand name that Control4's website recognizes. I hope that you appreciate why I'm asking about something seemingly obvious.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have previously sent picture of switch and package switch manufacturer are intertek name and model are also on picture.
Intertek - OK. I didn't see that name in the photo, I'm sorry to say.
Well, Intertek isn't listed on Control4's site either.Integra is, and Intelix. Intertek apparently did the testing and inspection (or, UL certification) for that switch. But, they don't do light switches. That's why their name is ***** ***** switches next to the ETL symbol. Again, Control4 isn't a brand. Not of light switch. Apparently the switch needs to be SDDP protocol capable. With SDDP, the Control4 home automation system automatically finds and adds SDDP-enabled devices to the platform. So you should be able to find the switch now, through the Control4 system. If you can't, it's a dud switch, apparently, for all intents and purposes: lacking a brand name, really, and incapable (for whatever reason) of SDDP discovery by the Control4 system.I'm sorry to have to say it, but that's the opinion I have come to.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didn't say control4 is brand ,control4 is system which work alike timer or switching all or one light from touchscreen also allows to any mobile device to turn lights on or off
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I
That switch ought to be Control4 compatible, yes.It's even certified/tested.It has the right type of Wireless networking.But: it doesn't work (I presume you have checked in the local Control4 system and found it not there.)So... it's defective. Evidently. Replacing it is indicated, I think.