Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I just installed a garmin echo map chirp 70/90 series and a

Customer Question

I just installed a garmin echo map chirp 70/90 series and a panoptix forward trAnsducer. Without rear trams hooked up the Machine says I have no sonar hooked up when I hook it up says o have a sonar why does the panoptix. Not give me sonar signal it is hooked up correctly will it only work in the water. Do I have to have both sonars attached for panoptix to work
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. If Panoptix is a 'stereo sonar' configuration, then it requires both the transducers to be in the water at the same time, both mounted and hooked up. Yes, sonar transducers generally have to be in water to work at all... for testing purposes, sometimes, when dismounted from the boat, they can be placed in a bucket of water. They won't give a reading, but they will work otherwise as normal.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not a complete answer do i have to have the rear hooked up I don't want the rear trams The chart plotter should give me and option to use panoptix but it seems that it doesn't acknowledge its hooked up.
The chart plotter doesn't mention Panoptix perhaps because the 70/90 isn't Panoptix-compatible?See the listed compatible plotters at the bottom of this page: Note that not all echoMAP CHIRP equipment has SideVu, only the specific models listed on this page: CHIRP/on-the-water/sidevu/cOnTheWater-bBRANDIs yours one of these specific models? Second, you have to have the transponders hooked up to have the options relating to them present or active, sometimes. Third, is the connector clean, on both sides? to the Panoptix equipment that is not being acknowledged? and is the transponder for Panoptix new, and undamaged? if not, it may be defective... indeed, sometimes (rarely) a transponder, though new, might be defective from the vendor or store.