Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I just purchased a HP Pavilion 550-153wb. It will not

Customer Question

I just purchased a HP Pavilion 550-153wb. It will not connect to the internet. Are there any wireless driver packages I need to download? I have already done the Device Manager and had the HP reinstall the driver and still no go. I have had TWO new computers in the last week do exactly the same thing. They get out onto the web initially and then will not do so again. It sees the network connection but cannot connect. I suspect it's the security crap our daughter put on the router rather than two new computers both need wireless drivers to get out to the net.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. If the connection was made, by wireless, successfully at first, then the router's security settings would not be what's at fault. What do the three computers that have the problem, have in common? some type of security suite or Internet Security or Firewall on them, perhaps? Where exactly in the process of connecting wirelessly do the computers fail? (I presume that they can see the router and try to connect to it... unless its SSID has been set to 'no-broadcast' perhaps.) I suggest that, first of all, you go toControl Panel - Security Centerand its Firewall section, and see what it lists as active firewalls on your computer. Then if Windows Firewall is on it, and something else is activated, see if disabling or turning Off the other firewall, and turning On Windows Firewall, gets the connection working. (If it does, then the other software that is serving as a firewall needs some adjustment to its settings after it is re-enabled.)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It turned out that the router itself was on its last legs and was failing. Also there was a damaged section of cable. Somehow the laptops had no difficulty with this. It's all pretty confusing to me but at least the new computer is now working after the cable and router were replaced.
Routers do fail. Esp. if they are in a hot room and heat up, or are poorly ventilated and heat up.Also cables get damaged... unfortunately.If your computers are now running, that's good.Thank you for bringing your question to us here at