Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a technics 1700 reel to reel everything works ,the capstan

Customer Question

I have a technics 1700 reel to reel everything works ,the capstan works as it should , the both motors are very good . when I load up a tape to play the REEL DOES NOT RESPOND. the buttons also do not light up anymore as well ,maybe the buttons are on the same circuit. I only found 5 fuses and they are all good . how many fuses are on a technics 1700 reel to reel, it was playing just fine and then stopped. I also tried to clean the infer red light that tells the machine that there is a tape set to play. my name is LOU
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 5 months ago.
Hi Louis and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, it would appear to be a low or missing voltage issue.Still and depending on the version, there would be at least eight (8) fuses in two (2) fuse holder blocks and all are tied to the wires coming from the secondary winding of the transformer feeding the power supply circuit board (except for an 800mA fuse for the capstan motor control circuit board). Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) using a volt/multi-meter:• for the reel block, the presence of +15V @ pin 1 and +20V @ pin 2 using pin 3 as common/reference ground;• for the capstan circuit, the presence of +21V @ pin 3, +20V @ pin 5 and +15V @ pin 6 using pins 2 & 4 as common/reference ground.