Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

TEAC REEL M#A-3340S NO FUNCTION AT PLAY FF REW. WIND . CAP.STAND

Customer Question

TEAC REEL M#A-3340S NO FUNCTION AT PLAY FF REW. WIND . CAP.STAND WORKS. WHAT BD. OR COMP. WOULD CAUSE NOT TO PLAY ?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. This is a familiar problem in old/used TEAC reel-to-reel tape decks.If there are two motors, one for FF/REW, and the other for PLAY > and PLAY <, then the second one's motor may be defective. Or the support circuitry for that motor might be defective, too.But first: put your ear to the deck, then hit PLAY (either direction.) If when you hit PLAY you hear nothing, no whirring nor similar electric motor operation noise, then it is a problem as I just explained: motor failure or motor support circuitry failure.If you hear a whirring start when you hit PLAY, that stops when you hit STOP, then the motor is still working, but the linkage between the motor and the spindle(s) is defective, or even - if it is a 'rubber band' -type arrangement as in really small tape players nowadays - has falled off, leaving the motor running but not turning anything. Let me know what you find out, please. Thanks.