Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a SAM4S ER-390M cash register and keep my prices on

Customer Question

I have a SAM4S ER-390M cash register and keep my prices on a PC. We use a scanner for ringing up most of the sales. When I loaded Windows 10 the cash register stopped talking to the PC. So I bought an old laptop and loaded Windows 7 Professional but it still won't work. When I "upProgram" it appears to upload but there's nothing there when I look in EditProgram for the PLU.
I have a COM to USB converter and have loaded the appropriate software, although for some reason it only appears to communicate when I set COM3, even though I am supposedly using COM4.
It now appears we are going to have to put all our price increases in manually, which is going to be a much bigger job
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Hi Leo
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My question I guess is specific to the cash register software. Everything was working fine with Windows 7, but the seller blames my loading Win 10. So I bought an old laptop with Vista, and he says nope, it don't work with Vista. So I upgrade to Win 7 Home Basic. Aw it musn't work with Home Basic. I've now upgraded to Windows 7 professional and it still doesn't work. Cable appears to be OK, but I haven't been able to find another 9 pin cable as yet to verify this. A technician has been in and says the cash register is OK. This is a widely used cash register. There must be a simple solution!?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
PS: all I rec'd in your reply was "Hi Leo". Was there more that I've missed?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
You will need to re-establish the COM connection between the PC and the cash register.Check the status of the COM ports in Device Manager and ensure there are no errors or warning messages showing there.Let me know if you would like remote assistance with this.Pete.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Device manager says the COM port is working properly. I bought another cable and get the same result. I always get "register not ready" when I try and upload. I think there's something wrong with the cash register itself despite what the "technician" said. I'm almost resigned to having to having to do everything through the cash register keyboard.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Ok, do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.Pete.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've never used this service before, but your website led me to believe I would not be charged the $46 until my question was answered. It was not your fault, but my problem hasn't been solved at all. You haven't told me anything I didn't already know, and it became obvious you were not in a position to help me.
Why would I ever use this service again??
I would appreciate a refund of at least the $46 or preferably the total $51.
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Hi Leo,I am a user of this site just like you, and I have no control over payments.You pay a deposit when you ask your question, and that deposit is still in your JustAnswer account - I have been paid nothing.For refunds or other account queries, please contact customer services.