Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a Gem Sound GT-USB turntable. How can I hear the vinyl

Customer Question

I have a Gem Sound GT-USB turntable. How can I hear the vinyl record on my computer?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Hello, What have you tried so far please?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
No thank you, ***** ***** take a phone call. If you need assistance, simply reply back on this page.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What should I try?
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Well first you need to plug the USB cable into your computer and then follow the on screen setup instructions for the turntable and see if the software automatically installs, or if additional software is needed (dependent on Windows version and the compatibility of the PC itself). So try that and let me know what happens so we can proceed.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
The turntable should also have been included with Audacity Sound editing software which you will use to playback records and have them play through your PC's connected speakers (assuming there are speakers connected). Do you have the software and manual that was included with this turntable?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can plug the USB cable in and using Audacity transfer music to the computer. Once that is done, I can then play it back. However, I can't hear the music while it's recording. Also I can't just listen to the record through the computer.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Ah Okay, I understand the problem you're having now. In order to "Monitor" (which is what you're referring to) the music as it's played live on the turntable- you need an additional set of external powered monitors that will connect directly to the turntable. This is how the Gem Sound is set to operate. The monitors will plug directly into the Red and White RCA plugs on the turntable and then monitor what is being played/recorded in real time. A suitable set can be purchased for low cost at the link below and will work just fine. You see the USB portion of the player is ONLY designed to send audio to the PC for recording. The RCA jacks are meant to connect the turntable to a stereo system, or at the very least a set of external speakers for general playback:
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can get the sound through external speakers, but at one time I was able to hear it through the computer. So there must be some way to do that?
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, no ideas on that. I will opt out and allow someone else to assist.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, thank you.