John, Engineer and electronic enthusiast for more than 12 years.
Experience:  I am here to help you!
23822421

This is a question specific to South Africa. I have a DSTV

Customer Question

This is a question specific to South Africa. I have a DSTV service, full bouquet with extra view using Explora decoders. A new dish and LNB was installed in February. About a month ago pixelation started on two of the channel I watch 121. and 123. I don't know about other channels. Ones that I watch regularly, 119 and 402 were unaffected. This pixelation followd by complete signal loss only occurs AFTER DARK on the channels 121 and 123 as far as I know, but at night I cannot record on any channel. In the morning the screens of both TVs are blank but I can usually restore a picture by rebooting both decoders. In the day the signal is steady at about 68% strength and 100% quality. This morning the remotes would not work, but a friend who knows a little about the subject, told me over the phone how to get them working. I have had a technician check cables, apply a tester of some type to the LNB - yesterday he moved the dish higher, but if anything the pixelation is worse. I'm getting a tchnician back tomorrow, but perhaps I could have some suggestions as to what he should do. Thank you
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Janet.Does your system have a multiplexer? This is a small box connected after the dish and lnb that then breaks out to cables that feed multiple decoder boxes.Offhand, it sounds like you've got a bad multiswitch there, or the switch may have a faulty or loose ground connection, or is picking up some interference from something near the switch or the lines. Do you perhaps have some device that runs primarily at night such as a heater or pump?