Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I have a TEAC X2000R. It stopped playing in either

Customer Question

I have a TEAC X2000R. It stopped playing in either direction. I took it to a place in Hackensack, NJ and the guy told me that he cannot fix it as TEAC does not make the part anymore. I asked him for the part number but he didn't give it to me. It's my most expensive toy and I am heartbroken. I need to get it to work somehow.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. What part is it that you need? Do you have a description?Also: In what way exactly does the TEAC device stop playing in either direction? it won't turn? it won't produce sound? or something else? please give a few specifics. Thanks. At worst, you might be able to find another broken TEAC reel-to-reel tape drive, e.g. on, after months or years of searching with great patience and periodically, out of which you might be able to take the part or parts that your TEAC needs, to repair it with. To take two broken devices and make one good device, as it were.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It used to play in both directions. Now it stopped playing in both. It FF's and Rewinds. When it used to play and record the sound was amazing. The service guy too told me to look on Ebay but the machines there are more expensive than what I paid for my machine when it was brand new.
OK, I understand.When you Play in either direction, does the tape move normally?But you get no sound?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The Motor stopped transporting the tape in either direction. Do you fix these machines or only offer advice?
I don't do the fixing, no. is, speaking very generally, advisory. If a motor seems to have failed, try hitting Play (either direction) and seeing whether you can hear any whirring inside when you do so, that is not present and stops when you hit 'Stop'. - If you do hear whirring, it may not be the motor that has failed, but the linkage (in a cheaper machine, I would say the 'rubber band', but that's what the motor-to-spindle linkage is in a small cassette-tape machine, not one of this type.- If you don't hear whirring nor anything at all, the motor may have failed - in which case there is a separate motor in yours for slow/Play and for fast/FFWD/REW. That's an initial diagnostic step. I'm not sure of the interior organization of your model, or I could be more specific. But really, what to do to repair it depends upon whether it's a motor failure or a linkage (/ 'rubber band') failure... or even something else, if only one motor is used to drive the spindles but one 'setting' or slow speed doesn't work and fast speed does, in which case it's a circuit that feeds the current for the slower speed that's the problem... etc.