Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a DA80ES Receiver I am getting a Protector message what should I do.

Customer Question

Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Hello, The "Protector" message is monitoring the speaker outputs of the receiver- so it would be telling you that either a speaker wire is shorted, a blown speaker is connected- or the internal speaker output stage has failed and the receiver requires service. There is no way to shut off the protector message once the fault is removed. If it's still on and you have No speaker wires at all connected to the receiver, then this does indicate the unit is in need of service. Have you also removed the speaker wires? Also how long have you owned the receiver for?
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.
Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You did not tell me anything. I already knew what you said. No help at all! As I knew a Rip- Off. I assume that you were going to help me solve the problem. No Satisfaction Guarantee Here. I want a Refund.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will give you O out of !-10
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, if all external factors have been checked and ruled out, then the described symptom and displayed system message almost always point to an internal hardware issue. More particularly, potential suspects after a review of the Service Manual are:• faulty PROTECTOR transistor 2SA988 (least likely);• cold solder on the 15-pins and/or 9-pins of the POWER AMP ICs (likely);• failed IC701 and/or IC001, IC651, IC601 (most likely). All of the above would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs. If comfortably able and feel safe to do so, are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?Equally important, could you make use of the repair/Service Manual or at the very least, the schematic diagrams?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Now this is much better, yes I can make use of the repair/Service Manual or at the very least, the schematic diagrams
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
Great on the DIY!Please click HERE for the board location while HERE for the schematic of AMP ICs IC701 and/or IC001, IC651, IC601. Check/re-solder their pins. Of particular interest would be for board discoloration, presence of pin holes on the packaging or even hairline crack(s) as these would be indicative of internal failure. A trick to try would be to remove / de-solder these ICs one at a time and check if the "...Protector message..." would persist. If yes, then the suspects would have shifted to the main output transistors. Click HERE for the relevant schematics.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just in case which Transistor ( faulty PROTECTOR transistor 2SA988 ) Q607,Q657,Q757, Q707 or Q007
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is this Transistor the same as the Main Output Transistors
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
The 2SA988 would be physically smaller than the main output transistors. In the third image, the main output transistors would be the pairs labeled as DRIVER.These PROTECTOR transistors should show identical readings whether in or out of circuit. Any that would show a deviation would be an anomaly hence highly suspect.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
IC701 and/or IC001, IC651, IC601 where are the IC'S located on the board location, which Board. Do not see them on any of the boards in the Systems that I have. Not sure that I have the board for the schematic of AMP ICs. What I do see is Transistor with these numbers Q001, Q701, Q651, and Q601 on the AMP Board.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
Hi again, The above the first posted schematics HERE would be co-located at the INPUT board. Referencing the first image, it would be the rectangular/elongated board towards the right side of the Sony
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The Input Board is a seven shape board running along the right side and down the back. The only IC's that I see is (3) 8 pin IC's IC201,IC203,IC253 and IC202 (30 pin). This board is located on the bottom of the Sony receiver. I have a STR-DA80ES ser. #(###) ###-####
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
From the Service Manual, click HERE for the complete schematics of the INPUT BOARD. Please note the ICs IC701, IC001, IC651, IC601 are included on this board.Agree that the board 7 or L shaped. These ICS then would be on the narrower leg. Click HERE for the board layout.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Protector message went out when I move the Power IC'S, not taken them out the circuit just move them with my figure. But there is no sound. I can also reactivate the Protector Message by punishing the Digital Board on the rear end ( that's the back end of the receiver). Unplug it to get it to turn off, but still no sound.
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
Please test all the main output transistors out-of-circuit.