Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years fixing Electronically devices
32989067

My Garmin Nuvi 3597 Lm is turned on but the screen is so dark

Customer Question

My Garmin Nuvi 3597 Lm is turned on but the screen is so dark I cannot see anything ....I can barely make out that it's on.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.Remove the charger from the Nuvi and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.Release, then connect the charger and try to turn on the unit.Let me know the results pleaseThank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not work....can barely make out the word GARMIN on the screen and nothing more
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** you please to try to reset the unit to reinstall the firmwareStart with the device turned off and unplugged from power. To verify the device is powered off and not in standby mode, press and hold down the power button until prompted to turn off the device.Power on the device and when the first copyright screen appears press and hold the lower right hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen.Remove your finger from the touchscreen when "Erase all user data?" appears.Touch Yes Tell me how it then functions please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen is so dark, I cannot see the prompts
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you shine a flashlight on it, can you then see it this way Don?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With a light on it, I can't even see the faint outline of anything
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks It is the internal mainboard that has faulted. A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it. I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not to be indelicate, but am I charged for this ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You have already paid the deposit which was for the service I provided to go through all possible causes and rule them out to confirm the problem. This is what we did and what you paid for. If we were only paid for fixing an issue, no one would have taken your question due to the possibility of it not being resolvable. You now have the issue confirmed and know what you need to do. If you need anything else, please let me know Thanks Richard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
your welcomeLike I said if you need anything else, please let me know and please remember the service rating via one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit so I am credited.Thank you DonRichard