Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Korg M1 - I just replaced switch 27 on the original switch

Customer Question

Korg M1 - I just replaced switch 27 on the original switch pc board after having r&r the board with a replacement refurb board (I am returning the board to the supplier since it, too, had a #7 switch problem). Once reassembled, I had no sound but then found that I failed to reinstall the ribbon cable plug to the DAC board which restored the sound. However, after final reassembly, I found that the bottom octave of the keyboard was unresponsive. I checked the keyboard ribbon cables, even removed and reinstalled but no success, however I did notice a limited response from the very bottom key while in the Prog 00 mode, but intermittany. Any suggestions
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Hi Tony,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ummmm.... so, where's the answer I paid for?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for replying back to me.You were offline when I responded earlier
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
It may be that the ribbon cable is still not making a good connection, so try removing it, clean the end of it with electronic contact cleaner, and firmly reinsert it again.If the bottom octave keys still won't respond, then check that the keys themselves are correctly aligned with the contacts on the board underneath them and that they are making good contact with it.Let me know how you get on...Pete.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
already applied those techniques before I asked for help, Pete. Got anything better or deeper to offer?
Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Can you test for electrical continuity when the keys are pressed to help locate the cause of the fault?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will have to wait a couple of days to check that due to scheduling. Will get back to you
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thanks for the update!Pete.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will be reinspecting the cables and connections later today. TTYL, Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
Thank you :)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I still haven't had the chance to reopen the unit for more troubleshooting die to time consumed with medical attention for both myself and my wife. As the current time, I an on a heart monitor. looks like next week will be the next opportunity for me to take another look at it. my apologies
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.
That's quite alright Tony, just take your time :)You can reply back here at any time, even after rating my service :)Best,Pete.