Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years electronics experience. How may I help you today?
63817454

Just bought a Thorens TD 170-1 turntable, which is supposed

Customer Question

Just bought a Thorens TD 170-1 turntable, which is supposed to have a built in pre-amp. But the volume coming out is extremely low, as if there is none. What gives?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.
Hello, my name is Rusty. That turntable has an option for a phono preamp, but some of them don't have it. It may have been mispackaged, or the preamp never got installed at the factory. You have 2 choices... You can either return it for an exchange, or click here for an external preamp. That preamp will condition the signal so you have good audio.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there anyway I can tell if it has the preamp? There is a 1 1/2 hole on a the bottom of the unit with what looks to be some sort of unit, inside -- is that it, or perhaps that's the motor
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.
Do you see a switch on the back near the audio cord that says phono/line? Most of the turntables with a preamp give you a switch that turns the preamp on and off. If it doesn't have a switch, and you're getting weak signal, then it does not have a preamp.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No switch. Looks like I've been ripped off. All the ads and descriptions said it had a pre-amp.
Expert:  Rusty replied 9 months ago.
I looked at the specs, and it said (optional). Some companies will do that for marketing. The Pyle preamp I showed you will get it working the way it should. I know it's an extra few bucks, but it is what you need. You can get them at most electronics stores, but they are usually considerably more expensive.