Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC

I have a harman/kardon model# ***** the power comes

Customer Question

Dear sir I have a harman/kardon model# ***** the power comes on for about ten seconds and go's off can you please tell me if my system can be repaired or give me advise on what is wrong
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Bernard. The shut down is a protection circuit kicking in to protect the receiver from damage. This could be caused by a short in one of the speakers or components, thermal fault, or an internal defect in the amp itself.You can try a few fixes yourself. To begin, power the receiver off, and disconnect all speakers and components. Try to turn it back on in Tuner (am/fm) mode and see if it will stay on. If it does, power off and reconnect 1 speaker, then power on to test again. Continue this process until you isolate the speaker or component causing the problem, or until everything operates normally.Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.Nathan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dear Nathan I have disconnected all speakers and brought the unit in and plugged it in, it is still kicking off the power after ten seconds
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for checking.Last effort is to attempt a microprocessor reset:With the receiver plugged in and master power on, but in standby mode,press and hold the front-panel Surround Mode Button for at least5 seconds until the RESET message appears in the display. If that doesn't happen, or it does reset but still won't stay on, that would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware fault.This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this receiver is well past its service life at this point.This is something that would require repairs to correct;If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. For a unit of this age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new and updated system with a fresh warranty in the same price range as repairs. Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.
Do you need more help with this, Bernard?