Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My friend tried to install a 7610 on my boat yesterday.

Customer Question

Hi, My friend tried to install a 7610 on my boat yesterday. The unit keeps shutting down. The boat has a 24 volt system. Could this be the problem??
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back which GPSMAP/Chartplotter; 7610 0r 7612?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
7612 without sonar
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
This model is rated for 10 to 32 VDC operation hence it would/should work with 24VDC system.Have you monitored/measured the voltage between the red and black wires feeding the 7612?
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):• using a volt/multi-meter, check the presence and consistency of the 24 V between the red & black wires;• if the voltage fluctuates and/or dramatic change (reduction), then the 24V source, wiring and connections would be highly suspect;• if 24VDC is consistent, then try;• feeding the red & black wires with a spare 12VDC battery;• if the 7612 worked, then the internal regulator of the Garmin has a hardware issue;• if the 7612 still failed to work and/or "...keeps shutting down...", then it would still point to an internal hardware issue with the unit itself