Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Cerwin vega sl-12 sounds bad flat sounding not crisp and clean

Customer Question

cerwin vega sl-12 sounds bad flat sounding not crisp and clean but more of a muttled sound
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Fred
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aré you going to respond to my question?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for replying back to me.You were offline when I responded earlier.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Did this problem occur suddenly, or are you setting up the speakers for the first time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
S
uddenly after working fine for over a ye ar
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
What source are you using for the sound?eg. a home theater system? (make and model)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, just used as an old school stereo sef up with a vinttage Marantz Stere o receiver
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Have you tested any other speakers on the stereo to check if it is outputting a crisp, clean sound?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Alternatively, have you tested the SL-12 speaker with a different system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but Have put another speaker in its place and ir works fine
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so the problem is with the SL-12 then...approximately how old is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 or get 6 years
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
It has likely suffered some damage or a defect - this could have arisen through excessive volume, a power surge, or simply electronic component degradation over time.At 5-6 years old, it is no longer under warranty.A local electronics repair shop could have a look at it for any obvious defects and replace any faulty components for you.Alternatively you could return it to Cerwin-Vega: http://www.cerwinvega.com/contact-cerwin-vega.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So Thats it. I Have already figured that out on my own. Do you not Have a real awnser to what the problem may be?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I could only confirm what you may have already suspected.There are hundreds of electronic components inside the speaker, any one of them could have suddenly failed - and the faulty components are not usually visually detectable, so electronic diagnostic testing will be required to troubleshoot further and locate the fault.Do you have any electronic testing equipment available to attempt to troubleshoot and repair the fault yourself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a broad knowledge of electrons nor do I have any tools Thats why I used your website but to no avail and the only electronic component I can see in the speaker is the crossover mechanism. Where are the hundreds of other coponents? I had assumed that you could trouble shoot the problem and I could get require parts or procedures to solve the problem but instead tell me some conclusions that I am capable of making myself. I hope that you and your assosiates do the right thing and refund my money. I have no angst against you but only hope this company is a company of integrety. Thanks, Fred
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Fred,Sorry if I was the bearer of bad news on this occasion.I am a user of this site, just like you, and have received no payment for my time.I am credited only upon receiving a high service rating.Your deposit remains with the website, and can be used for any future questions.Best,Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to thank you for your frankness and tring to help. I got a feeling that this websight was more concerned about making me sign up for their services by the way they were pushing them than actually spolving them.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You may have received some offers of other services, however they are out of my control.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am fully aware of that and hold no animosity twoard you. I am attempting to contact them now. Thank you and good night.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome (I am obliged to respond to every post made here)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not appreciate being silicited for a rating when you already know how dfeel about the lousy service thatI was ptovided with and furthermore will not recomend it to anyone I know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Post script - I feell like your organization cares more about getting people to subscribe to its services thanx helping people with it's prolemsn because when you on ther sight you aré continually bombarded with offers to sign up. Ther whole ordeal was not a pleasent experience. Good night now
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi,You may have received automated emails that appeared to have been from me - I have no control over that.I just answer the questions here. For any other queries you will need to contact customer services.Best,Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I fully understand. Ty & gl
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your feedback!Have a great day :)(I am obliged to respond to every post made here)