Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I have a 1880-1890 Hassenforder floor safe. The door is open.

Customer Question

I have a 1880-1890 Hassenforder floor safe. The door is open. It requires a 3 number combination which I had but misplaced. Could you provide he steps required to reset the combination? Thanks very much. Tim
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. That is very special information. I can find no indication as to whether such an antique safe even had the ability to have its combination changed. Is yours a dial type? (presumably.) You may have to go to an antique safe specialist among locksmiths, to find the information you need (and it is likely to cost something considerable if you have to.) Hoogerhyde Safes seems to know about antique safes, so they might be asked about this problem: Or Rolland Safes - warning, they will be expensive, I don't doubt it for a minute: Or try posting your question on see if, after a week or weeks, someone has the information you need. I myself find no information at all. Dial combination locks had to be specially made, that long ago, to have a changeable combination. Perhaps a better way to address the problem, would be to find or 'rediscover' the established combination. In some cases, a cross between listening e.g. with stethoscope to the safe while turning the dial, and a delicate feel of how the dial was behaving (hard to describe) could allow discovery of the combination.If the lock can have the combo reset, it would probably be by a switch or small lever inside, on the base of the dial assembly or the like. If there is no such level or switch, the chances of changing the combination are poor to none, unfortunately.