Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Managing Director at Pollinate Group LLC
59725966

The power went off while my kindle was updating. Now it won't

Customer Question

The power went off while my kindle was updating. Now it won't work. What can I do?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and sorry you're having problems. The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 30 full seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot. Do not press anything else during that minute. If this does not cure the issue, oftentimes the reset procedure needs to be repeated several times for it to force a reboot.If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not working.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Should I try plugging it in again?
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Yes try plugging it into the charger for 15 minutes then try the reset again as described above please. If that does not work please tell me which model Kindle you have.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Are you still having the same problem?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Should I try plugging it in again?
Papperwhite
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
I don't know? How many times have you plugged it in? What's it doing?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
3 times.
The screen flashes white and goes back to the tree logo
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Okay hang on please while I look up something.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.
Sorry but that's the only reset for this device per Amazon. Leaving it unplugged, slide the power for 7 seconds and release. Does it ever go past the Tree logo? Are you able to get into the MENU at all? If not, how long have you owned this for please?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Only flashes a blank white screen.
Had it about17 mos
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Maryjean. The persistence of the problem would unfortunately tend to indicate that the internal memory has become damaged (corrupted) by the failed update.If you have not charged the kindle recently or know that it is at least half full, then you should charge the battery for at least a few hours before proceeding further. Then plug the kindle into computer via usb cable, then press and hold power button for 60+ seconds, and release. The kindle will take 3-5 minutes to reload it's internal firmware. If it doesn't turn back on by itself, press power once to turn it on. If it still won't work at that point, then there is indeed internal damage, and the kindle would need to be replaced.This issue is not feasible to repair. You can get a brand new kindle fire for as little as $50 for the base model: http://amzn.to/23eptoW In that event, your best recourse will be to contact Amazon kindle service directly, at 866\321\8851. Even if past the warranty, Amazon usually has very good customer service, and will often offer a credit/trade in toward a new or refurbished kindle model.When you receive your replacement kindle, once it is registered and connected to wifi, all of your existing books/purchases will sync to the new kindle, so you won’t lose any of the content you’ve previously purchased. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.
Do you need more help with this, Maryjean?