Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

How can I unfreeze my kindle - none of the functions are working

Customer Question

How can I unfreeze my kindle - none of the functions are working including the on/off button.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Hello, and sorry you're having problems. The problem you're having is often due to the software in the Kindle locking up and it needing to be rebooted. To do this, simply press and hold the power button on the Kindle for 30 full seconds, then release and wait a full minute for it to reboot. Do not press anything else during that minute. If this does not cure the issue, oftentimes the reset procedure needs to be repeated several times for it to force a reboot.If you're still running into problems, then try plugging the Kindle into the charger for 15 minutes, then eject it and try the reboot a couple of more times.Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the on/off button is not working. Is there another way to reboot?
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Which model Kindle do you have? The serial number does not tell us anything. Also, did you hold the button a full 30 seconds and wait? Sometimes it can take a minute to respond. Let me know please.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Are you able to see my reply?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
model # ***** ***** Yes, I have held the on/off button for long time and waited. I've also plugged and unplugged it several times. What else can I try?
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Hang on while I look up that specific number since I did not have that at the beginning of the question.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Hold down the "Alt" button and the "R" simultaneously for a few seconds. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, I am getting your responses. Nothing happened when I tried the Alt and R at the same time. I tried it a few times and held it for a full minute on one of the tries.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
That is the only other reboot for the Kindle, so it appears your device has failed and requires repairs. I would strongly suggest trying the power button reset once more and beyond that let me know and I will provide a link for repairs for you.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Are you able to get any response from the screen at all?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not helpful. Please cancel my subscription and do not charge my credit card.`
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
I'm not privy in any way to billing, accounts, etc.- I'm an independent tech, not a site employee. You would need to direct those questions to customer service via the home page. I'm simply an AV technician. You can direct billing questions here: http://*****@******.***
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks anyway. I'll just go thru my credit card company to cancel the transaction.