Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Sansui tape deck DW-11 that has a tape stuck

Customer Question

Hi ! I have a Sansui tape deck DW-11 that has a tape stuck inside one of the decks (it is a double deck player) and need to figure out how to remove it
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.
Hi Desmond and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, please post back with clear closeup pictures of the tape mechanism where a tape is stuck.Still, the above described symptom almost always point to a failed capstan belt (most likely) and/or motor (least likely). The belt need not be broken and may simply be loose, deformed or out of position. In some instances, it may just be the head mechanism (likely) failing to lower down thus locking the cassette tape in place.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Louie - I cannot take a picture of the tape mechanism where the tape is stuck as I cannot eject the tape cover. As it is a double cassette deck, what I can do it take a picture of the other 'good' mechanism is that will help you just to identify the tape mechanism used. Also I will see if I can open up the tape deck when I am home and check if I can get a better view of the mechanism where the tape is stuck, if so will send those pictures also.Please note that I am in Melbourne, Australia hence on AEST which is GMT + 10thanks,
Desmond
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.
Yes please Desmond; actually, the inside mechanism hence top cover off.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Louie - I managed to get to the cassette mechanism. As I unmounted the unit from the chassis, the cover opened and I was able to remove the tape so it seems like the issue is with the eject button not being able to push open the cover. In the pictures you can see a cream coloured plastic bit that is supposed to be pushed up when the eject button is pushed just unlocking the tape door. However there is a metal piece that is stopping the plastic from moving up - circled red in one of the pics. Any idea what this is and how I can move it out of the way so that the plastic bit can move up again ?
Expert:  Louie replied 8 months ago.
Appreciate the pictures Desmond. Bear with me, please post pictures of the back of the mechanism.The red encircled tab appears to be a stopper for a slide base that is coupled to the head assy. And it would seem that the head is still in the engage position.With these in mind, possibility would be a plunger (at the back) that is not engaging or disengaging (least likely) and/or, a capstan belt issue (most likely and also at the back).
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Louie - Have uploaded the pics. Sorry for the delay. Hopefully they are useful to you. Thanks ! Desmond
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
Appreciate the pictures again Desmond. Let's try turning the motor pulley = belt = 2 x flywheels (capstans). You'll have to play it by ear BUT the idea is to manually disengage/lower the head ass'y. Additionally, please observe the operations other deck ass'y to have an idea of the movement of the parts, default positions and placement. ...and bear with me for any delays, often mobile with sluggish Internet.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Louie - I have removed the 2 pulleys as turning them was not doing anything. Have taken a pic so you can see all the wheels behind. None of them seem to really move easily. Does the attached pic give you a clue as to what the issue could be?I can try opening up the other 'good' unit to compare but am scared of messing up that too so won't to do that only as the very last resort.Thanks,
Desmond
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.
Desmond, Have you compared the 2 mechanism/ass'y? ...tape head position when at rest (STOP)?Also of interest would be the timing marks. Have you checked the big gear at the center?And the 2 solenoids?Thanks.