Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

Recorder has flashing 000 on display seems locked will not

Customer Question

Recorder has flashing 000 on display seems locked will not respond to remote, think I may have have pressed some wrong button on left side of remote.
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Hi Robert and welcome to JustAnswer,Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the Panasonic.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi using the power button on remote control, display charges from flashing 000 to u99 all we are able to do is eject video cassette and DVD can't perform any other functions, model is DMR-EZ48V
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Appreciate the additional information Robert. The described error codes and symptoms almost always point to an internal hardware issue. This would require that the unit be opened up for visual inspection, voltage/continuity/resistance checks, confirm faults and effect repairs. Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What caused the recorder to freeze was that after not having used it for about a year I was trying to tune recorder to a T.V. channel and pressed a button on left side of remote
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Please click HERE. This is the error description as stipulated by the repair/Service Manual.Repair experiences has shown that this is a logic circuitry fault and often brought about by a low or missing voltage. This low/missing voltage is further caused by a leaky/faulty capacitor.While the repair is rather easy, it does requires lots of patience in testing several suspect capacitors and replacing them as needed. The test would require that the capacitor be out-of-circuit. Non-use and/or over time, the capacitor tends to dry up.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As I was able to use functions /play /fast foward /rewind till I pressed a button on the remote that I shouldn't have I feel that this is what has caused the problem.
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
I understand. That button may have 'called up' a function that the logic circuit was unable to perform thus triggering the fault.Still, have you tried a RESET ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No have not tried reset yet,do you know what to press on remote to reset
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
Consider a RESET. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try: Please click HERE.May have to be done a number of times.This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose other issues.Some buttons may not be available in some versions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can't open DVD tray as machine is stuck in vs mode
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
How about the last; power button for 10 seconds or if available on your version, a RESET button left of the DV IN?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
DVD tray now open ,have tried to reset by holding power button down for 10 seconds but nothing happens, other button for channel changes don't appear to be the same on this model,that is channel change buttons, I am an going to bed now but will try more tomorrow.
Expert:  Louie replied 6 months ago.
I understand; tomorrow or when able. Cheers.