Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I bought a Sherwood S-7100A Receiver at an estate sale. It

Customer Question

I bought a Sherwood S-7100A Receiver at an estate sale. It appeared like new but when I plugged it in there was now power getting to the unit. I changed the fuse; still no power. Any ideas?
Category: Consumer Electronics
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Hello and sorry you're having problems. No power at all on the receiver (even after replacing the fuse), indicates that no DC voltages are being rectified on the secondaries of the power transformer. This can be caused by a faulty power transformer (least likely), a failed rectifier circuit, or possibly even faulty capacitors in the power supply circuit. To narrow this down further you would need to be comfortable measuring voltages on a PCB level and also soldering on a PCB level. The average cost for this repair is in the $150 range at a shop (this can range higher or lower depending on what component is found at fault). Unfortunately it's not a pushbutton fix, however and tracing voltages to find out where the voltage is lost within the unit would be needed to isolate and then repair the issue. Feel free to reply back if you need more help, or want to reply back with more details. It does not cost you anything more to reply back once you've rated. Please do rate me positively (at least 3 STARS) and I will continue with you until this is sorted. The positive rating ensures I am credited for my work.
Expert:  Aric replied 6 months ago.
Do you need further assistance with this?